Check what you have at home to reduce food waste
Before you write your shopping list, double-check what you already have.
- Save money by checking your fridge, freezer and pantry cupboard before you plan your meals or go shopping. Food can be easy to forget, especially when it's out of sight in the freezer, so it's better to have a look rather than doubling up or buying food you don't need.
- Check the date labels on food while you're doing your stocktake.
- This can also be a good time to do a clean-out. Compost, worm farm or dispose of any food you're not going to eat.
- Where possible, recycle empty jars and packaging, or keep and re-use air-tight jars for storing dry goods like tea, spices, nuts or flour
- Give the fridge a wipe-over before you fill it with fresh products.
- Add a label and date to food before you put it in the fridge or freezer.