Cut waste by sourcing food locally and finding creative ways to use leftovers.
Keep food waste in mind when preparing your orders.
- Check existing stock first and order precisely to avoid having too much stock.
- Consider weekly and seasonal variations and how this impacts on the quantity of stock required.
- Consider more frequent ordering of smaller quantities of fresh produce to minimise spoilage.
- Order fish and meat cuts to specification.
- Work closely with your suppliers and develop good relationships with them.
- Compare the costs of bulk versus non-bulk purchasing. Purchasing in bulk can be economical if your business can use the items before the expiry date and has appropriate storage available.
- Source local produce; it won't have travelled as far and therefore will generally last longer.
- Order fruit and vegetables that are in season to reduce cost; they have better flavour too.
- Record the quantities of food you serve or sell each week. This will increase your accuracy when ordering.