Airtight containers can help keep your food fresher for longer.
Clever kitchen appliances, containers, utensils and tools can help you to store your food wisely and keep it fresher for longer.
Here are seven useful options:
- freezer – the freezer is great for storing your leftovers, frozen vegetables and extra bread
- fridge – storing your food in the fridge will keep it fresh for longer. Remember to keep it serviced, check the seals and the temperature is set between 3-4 degrees Celsius
- airtight containers – airtight containers with snug fitting lids are perfect for storing items in the fridge, freezer or cupboard
- airtight jars – airtight jars are great for storing flour, rice and couscous in the cupboard, as well as storing leftover liquids like salad dressing in the fridge
- measuring cups and spoons – measuring ingredients is crucial to not only getting the right flavours in your cooking but also making sure that you don’t over cook and waste food
- kitchen scales – another handy tool to ensure you weigh your ingredients accurately – essential to good cooking and avoiding food waste
- juicer – what better way to utilise old fruit and vegetables than to juice them? Lemon and lime juice can be frozen in ice block trays for use at a later date in cooking.