Food Smart is an interactive program to help NSW households learn how to reduce food waste at home. Households receive a toolkit with resources like bag clips and food huggers to help them reduce food waste and receive email prompts and tips to help them on their way.
Our grantees are delivering Food Smart throughout NSW.
- Central Coast Council
- Ethnic Communities Council of NSW
- Healthy Cities Illawarra
- Macarthur Regional Organisation of Councils and Macarthur Centre for Sustainable Living
- Midwaste – Schools-based program. Contact Midwaste to find out which schools are participating.
- Netwaste – participating council areas are Wellington, Forbes, Nyngan, Warren, Cobar and Bourke
- North East Waste – participating council areas are Ballina Shire, Byron Shire, Kyogle, Clarence Valley, Lismore City, Richmond Valley, Tweed Shire
- IGA – to register your interest join their IGA Family Program
- Ku-ring-gai Council
- Shoalhaven City Council
How it works
Food Smart is an education program which involves:
- completing an online survey
- measuring your food waste over two days and sending us the results
- following the six steps in the action cards and using the items in the kit
- measuring your food waste again to see if there were any changes and sending us the results.