I love you from my head tomatoes!
Tomatoes can do no wrong! But sometimes life gets in the way and we realise some of our tomatoes are getting a bit parched and are no longer considered “salad-friendly”.
What better than transform your going off tommies into a sugar-free tomato sauce to accompany your meals! Talk about stretching your tomatoes.
Wrinkly sugar-free tomato sauce
- 2 kg tomatoes, diced
- 2 small brown onions, diced
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 2 tbs Himalayan pink salt
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 1/2 cups white malt vinegar
*This recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan and free from refined sugar
- In a large pot add extra virgin olive oil, crushed garlic, tomatoes, onions, ground pepper, ground cloves, cinnamon stick, salt and allspice.
- Sauté for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add white malt vinegar and bring to high heat for three minutes.
- Reduce to a low simmer for 1 hour 45 minutes with the lid off.
- Once cooled, store in the fridge or freeze for later use.
This spiced tomato sauce is a great way to use your over-ripened tomatoes and the perfect topping for your next burger.